I was so excited to begin the project but a bit concerned because I didn't have an idea of how the bonnet should look. I grabbed the chosen hat and hopped into the car and off to Joann's Fabric I went! I wandered up and down each aisle with hat in hand looking at fabric and then at silk flowers, and began to have the glimmer of an idea, but first I wanted to look at Michael's floral and ribbon departments before making a final decision. The flowers were much better at Michael's but I didn't like their ribbon. (It's a good thing the stores were only a couple of miles apart, because I headed back to Joann's for fabric.) The old Joann's store was closing, and pickings were a bit slim, but I finally selected a periwinkle polyester lining fabric for the band, then drove back to Michael's one last time to coordinate the flowers with the fabric.
I made a tube out of the fabric to create a giant "ribbon", then pinned it around the hat band area and hand tacked it in place on the inside. A soft knot was tied in the back so the tails can drape down. Each flower was hand sewn in place. (Glue can sometimes release with time and this hat was created to last for many years.) I was so pleased with the way it turned out and my future daughter in law was ecstatic.
(Click on the pictures to enlarge them.)