Chicken Watermelon Salad:
- ground chicken, my 1st choice or ground turkey.
- seasoning: chili powder, garlic salt, pepper & McCormick Roasted Garlic & Bell Pepper seasoning blend; (season to taste).
- red onion - chopped - 1/2 for the meat & 1/2 for the salad.
- watermelon - cut into bite size cubes, (I buy the small "individual" sized watermelons).
- sweet peppers - chopped, I usually use yellow, orange or red peppers, you can cook some of the peppers in the meat mixture if you like.
- small tomatoes - cut in half, I use grape tomatoes.
- salad greens.
- feta or blue cheese crumbles.
- Greek olives - sliced - I love them, my family doesn't, so they're optional.
- candied pecans - I use Emerald Pecan Pie candied pecans - they're out of this world!
- raspberries, black berries or blue berries - don't have to have them, but sometimes I add several different berries with the watermelon.
- Raspberry vinaigrette, Zesty Italian, blue cheese, or whatever dressing you're in the mood for.
I've ordered this salad a couple times at the Los Gatos Brewing Company, http://www.lgbrewingco.com/. They use red & yellow watermelon & top with a chiffonade of basil. (I don't recall much of flavor difference between the red & yellow watermelon.) Oh, it is just sooo good!
The ground chicken or turkey mix is also wonderful with tomatoes, onions, blue cheese crumbles, chopped sweet peppers, & Zesty Italian dressing; or as a topper over a baked potato.