Welcome to this weeks Freaky Foodie Friday Trainwrecks! Michael had such a fun idea for this week! Rather than our usual virtual potluck, our theme is food mishaps or food bloopers. I know this will be fun to read, but maybe not so much fun to remember!
No pictures were ever taken of any mishaps in my kitchen. I was too busy trying to rescue whatever I had burned, sloshed or dumped. Let's see how many bloopers I can remember.
Cooking has never been one of my favorite pastimes. Before I was married, I could make cookies and cakes by following a recipe but very little else.
Not long after our wedding, I was attempting to cook dinner when my brother in law dropped by for a few minutes. I went outside to talk to him, but didn't think to turn the stove off. Yes, that was my first burned meal as a newly wed and I've had many others since then.
Hubby called from work one long ago evening craving popcorn. He had an errand to run, and wanted to drop by the house to pick up a big bowl of popcorn to take back to work with him. I put the oil in the pan on high. (Wasn't this a brilliant move on my part!) The oil wasn't heating up quickly enough while I watched it, so I thought I had plenty of time to take care of an accident our new puppy had just made. I picked up the oops, glanced up at the stove and saw flames dancing around in the pan, burning the knobs, buttons and bottom of the top oven. Our front door was open, so as I ran for the stove, I looked out the door, saw hubby and screamed "it's on fire!" I was holding the tissue wrapped puppy poo in my hand and threw it out the back door, (I think it flew into the neighbors back yard). I reached for the handle on the pan just as hubby screamed "no - don't touch it!" I was going to move the flaming pot out to the back deck. He grabbed something to cover the handle and put the pan on the floor. We put the fire out, but he burned a big round circle in the linoleum and was quite proud of his quick thinking. (I wouldn't have put the pan on the floor.) Insurance covered the damage, but it took forever to have the floor repaired.
One evening I was making a lime molded jello salad to take to a potluck at work the next day. I poured the liquid jello into the mold and watched in disbelief as it all ran out the bottom of the Tupperware mold. I hadn't double checked the seal. That mess ran off two sides of the counter and cabinet, then all over the floor under and around the stove. The mess was unbelievable.
So much for the mayhem and madness of my foodie trainwrecks.
I have a cute one to share about my daughter in law. My son and daughter in law got married last June. His kitchen remodel wasn't completed before the wedding, so they were without a stove for a few months. When the new stove was finally installed, she was baking up a storm. She had just taken cookies out of the oven as my son got home from work. He grabbed a beer and a cookie and they called me to come over and sample the fresh cookies. (BTW, I don't understand how anyone can drink a beer and eat a cookie, but I digress...) My DIL left the room for a moment and my son said the cookie was a little bit salty. I took a bite and couldn't eat anymore of it. I looked at him and he was foaming at the mouth with the beer and baking soda in the cookie, but was gamely eating it. (You know that's LOVE, to finish the whole stinking cookie that is making you foam at the mouth!) My DIL came back in and asked how the cookies tasted. I asked how much baking soda she added to the recipe. She looked puzzled and took a bite of my cookie, which she promptly spit out and ran for the recipe. She had used tablespoons instead of teaspoons of baking soda. My son and I thought this was hysterical. My DIL, not so much!